Sunday 14 March 2010

My Tummy's Blog

::Food::


English food.  Doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to taste.  My tummy, however, would like to disagree.  I found that since I've been here, the food cannot stay out of my mouth and has bonded quite closely to my buttocks.  Yeah, I do encounter the almighty famous bland English dish, but with a little tweeking, ie., salt, pepper, toasting, or frying a little longer, it's party in my tummy!  Now before you read any further, I suggest that you grab a tissue and cover your keyboard with saran wrap....because if you're like me, you'll be drooling throughout this whole blog.


So yes, Fish N' Chips. My tummy has had a couple of dates with that dish.  The fish tastes similar to the fish at Long John's, but the chips???? Oh my Lordy!  "Can I get some fish with my chips?" is more like it!  I cannot get enough of the chips over here.  I think what makes them so good is the fact that they are made of 100% potatoes.  0 preservatives.  You would probably think, "Oh, they probably taste like the fries over at In n Out."  Ummmm, Negatory.  Although that food chain proves that their fries are made from fresh potatoes, by hiring a potato cutter that you would see working while in the drive thu,  it does not tastes the same at all.  I dunno what it is, the chips over here are so fresh, it's like they grow their own potatoes in their shop.  They're AMAZING!

More traditional English dishes that I still need to encounter are dishes like

 Bangers and Mash


Yorkshire pudding


Shepard's Pie



English Pudding


 And Black pudding...which I'm not sure if I ever will try.  It's pretty much a blood sausage.  *shiver*





Traditional dishes that I have had are as follows

Full English Breakfast, which I would love to have every morning, but can't because I love my life too much...also, I would like to note that I have mine without the black pudding.....


Sausage and Chips


Chicken Tikka Masala, which I might note is sweeter than the ones served in the states


Hot Cross Buns (barf)  Not too fond of the dates and nuts

Minced Meat Pies.....Yuck to the 10th power.  It's pretty much a little crusted pie with meat, and dates, and nuts and some sweet sause...yeah....exactly




Chips, chips, and more chips!








I still need a lot more work on the English food intake.



It's kind of funny, in the states, after a long night of gallavanting, the word "burrito" or "pizza' would possess our mouths and stomachs.  Over here.  The late night snack of choice would be Kababs and chips, and yes, pizza.  Cannot get away from that heaven sent Italian dish.  Also, back at home, we tend to go on scavenger hunts for the best taco trucks.  UK stye, those scavenger hunts consists of the best kabab truck or English friend comfort food.




 must admit, when I first got here, whenever I saw a truck on the side of the road, first thing that popped into my head was "TACO TRUCK!!!!"


 But I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were yummy fried foods that consisted of mainly hamburgers with grilled onions, mushrooms, bacon (aka ham), and....get this.....a fried egg.  Other foods served  on the truck were hot dogs (aka sausages) on a dry bun, and roasted pig (similar to lecheon) with an aplple jam on a round bun.

I could easily write more about the foods over here....but I need to stop before my laptop short circuts from my dripping saliva.   I'll continue when more "research" has been consumed.....

No comments: