Monday 4 April 2011

How would you like your eggs?

Free Range please.....

Yeah, I've never heard of those kind of eggs before until I set foot on this land.  Whilst driving through the rural country side, which is practically my hood, I would always see signs that said Free Range Eggs.  Now, with me and my very optimistic ways of thinking, when I first sighted a sign as such, I jumped way off my seat and yelled in my hubby's ear, "OMG!  Babe!  Free eggs????  Are you Forreal???"  And then Ricardo does that little chuckle that I often hear, with an amused face.  He then breaks it down to his gullible wife that in fact people are not giving away free eggs.  That it's a type of egg that's nice to Chickens....we have it in the states and it has another name.  And me being a visual person shall give you a link to gather more info about this thangy thang.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-range_eggs

Well, to me these eggs taste a bit more different.  They seem a little happier to me.  Probably due to the fact that happy little hens lay them.  IDK, whatever it is, it's yummy. Anyway, the taste of these eggs are not what I'm here blogging about....it's the journey of how I get to acquire them.  Mira.

So me and my main squeeze found that we like to eat a lot of eggs.  And the fact that our bellies require so much eggs, we found that buying a dozen eggs from the commissary at little over than 2 dollars a pop, was starting to burn a little unwanted hole in our  wallets.  So, with the helpful, wise words of one of his British co-workers, we found that free range eggs at this one farm located  nearby was a better deal for us.

And so the journey begins.....

First of all, you have to drive down this dirt path that is only big enough to fit one car.
So if another driver decides to be dumb and drive down that same path whilst you are getting your eggs, you and the other driver shall be shit out of luck.

After about half a mile or so, you approach this wooden box
Doesn't look very inviting...and nothing close to a supermarket fridge, but hey it works.  Anywho, inside this wooden box are these::

Obviously.  Now, you're probably thinking...."Um, I don't see a clerk or attendant to collect the money."  Well, my friends, over here in England, people have morals.  Unlike MOST people in the states, more than most of the residents follow this thing called honorary system.  See, a tray of 30 eggs costs £3.50.  In US dollars, that would equal $5.64, which is a better deal than the commissary eggs.  Ok, so inside that wooden box, nestled next to the eggs is a money box.  And yes, if you put two and two together, you are right.  You drop that money in that box, grab a tray, and you are golden.  

Not trying to bash my fellow citizens and shizz, but if you were to leave a whole bunch of eggs and money box in a wooden box similar to that above in the states, more than likely the next day, you would only find the tire tracks of the person's car that decided to make all those eggs plus the money box a donation for themselves.  You would also probably see a new egg "vendor" selling eggs in a similar tray that you used on a corner somewhere nearby.  It may not be true....but I'm just sayen from past experiences.....

And yeah, that's the journey that we take to get eggs over here.  It seems pretty odd and not too exciting, but it makes this fat girl highly entertained.  

Another thing that I would like to add to this blog before I go is this::

You can't really see it very well due to the blurriness of the shot.  But it may be a good thing for those with the sensi stomaches.  What it is, is poop or maybe the liquid that would accompany the egg after the chicken spits it out down there.  I just thought I'd add this to demonstrate the freshness of the eggs.....Also, Rick's co-worker mentioned that if you were to get some eggs early in the morning, they would still be warm.  HEhehe That was my goal this morning, but guess I wasn't early enough...poo.....

   


No comments: