Friday 7 January 2011

Love and the Military


To those who take their lovers for granted...

So these past few months have been husbandless.  At times, specially during our squabbles,  it was a good thing, but other times, not so much.  And it seemed the times that were not so much a good thing tended to override the good.

The day that Rick got on his knee to ask me to be his lifelong partner, I didn’t hesitate to say yes.  I mean, after 7 LONG years and all this love that I have for the fella, WHY NOT?  J Also, being that I dealt with his military deployment ins and outs during our relationship, and me coping just fine, I didn’t think that it would really have a huge effect on me in the future.  I.  Was.  Wrong. 


Literally, a week after he proposed, my life had turned into an emotional rollercoaster.  It wasn’t because of him and his actions, it was him being active in the military.  People, the military is no joke.  Whatever they want, you gotta do.  If not, PEACE!  For an event where we were going to be united as one, I found it pretty ironic that I was planning it alone.  I must admit, there were times where I felt so alone, so stressed, so sad, and it felt odd, because I was supposed to be planning such a happy event.  Those feelings would have def been canceled out if the military didn’t play a mistress in our relationship.


Anyways, the wedding has come and gone, marriage life is bliss….until he got his orders.  The unwanted feelings of sadface came back again.  And of course with our luck, his deployment  happened during the holidays.  For the first time during my existence on this earth, I have never been so sad and miserable.  I mean, I HEART the holidays with all my heart.  There’s nothing like being surrounded by all your loved ones and shopping till you drop, and stuffing your face with all sorts of homemade edibles that gets the excitement going inside of me.  But celebrating the holidays without your hubby, your BFF, is no bueno.  I would have to say it’s the hardest thing I had to do by far.  Although, I am truly grateful to be amongst the presence of all my loved ones and joy and such, there was always that feeling of something missing. 


These past few months have seriously taught me not to take the love of my life for granted. Also, I have mad respect for my other fellow military wives who stand by their man with a strong face.  Now, I must apologize for sounding all emo and shizz like that, I don’t like sounding like that at all.  But I just wanted to send this message to all of those who tend to take their loved ones for granted.  When they get on your nerves for not washing the dishes, or being late, or just being plain irritating, or what not, take a deep breath and smile.  They are there with you.  That’s the most important part.  Us wifeys, who are devoted to these country serving men don’t get a lot of that…



2 comments:

Puta said...

My favorite post. I always want to say the same. Thank you for giving a voice to all the military wives out there :)

Rene M said...

Amy!!! This made me tear up! I don't know how you do it girl...