Sunday 16 May 2010

Airports are my farewells

I remember when I used to always love going to airports.  Just being able to see a variety of people, hearing multiple accents buzz by my ears,  seeing different fashions walk down the terminals like it were a catwalk, guessing where each person was going, and most of all, just knowing that I would be going to a new destination soon after arriving there.

Being a military wife, airports have a different meaning to me.  Now, I dread airports, like I dread hospitals.  About 90 percent of the time, I tend to leave the place crying.  Don't get me wrong, I do have my moments where I get excited about this bittersweet place.  Those are usually the times when I'm either taking trips with friends, family, or hubby or going to there to pick up the same combination of people.  The other 90 percent, I'm either saying good-bye to Rick or to my friends and family.  


Being the girl who always dreamt about living overseas....I never thought that it would be this hard to leave the people I love.  That the airport would be the place where I last see these people I cherish so deeply in my heart.  Before I even dated Rick, and would see that one couple hiding in the corner crying and hugging on to each other for dear life, I would always think that they were over reacting and just being dramatic, and they they'd see each other again soon.  Also, I would make fun of those couples that would run to each other like they do in movies, crying with accompanied kisses and embraces.

Now, being in this situation, this life, I have totally become that couple hugging on to dear life, and that happy person running to their loved ones exchanging those heart felt embraces.  Sometimes, actually, I ALWAYS wish I could bring them all with me.  Because of this, I have learned to enjoy all the people who surround me.  And that those kisses and embraces exchanged at these terminals are the last souvenirs and memories that you will have of them. 

 Cherish them....

No comments: